Friday 22 February 2013

Caring with Quilts.

As we all know, there have been devastating fires that have caused people to lose their homes and belongings in January. Chooky -- www.chookyblue.blogspot.com.au-- had sent out a call for quilts to be collected  so that they could be distributed to families affected by the fires.

 
35 quilts to date..........
 
I looked at my pile of UFOs and found a quilt I had made--it had come back from the quilters, but I had not completed the binding. So I proceeded to do so and this is the result.
 
 
Hand appliqued hearts
 
 
I have packaged it and posted it off to Chooky. I did feel a pang parting with it, but I know that it will be appreciated by someone who has been through difficult times.
 
Many years ago, we lived in a house on the edge of a National Park. To prevent devastating bush fires in summer, the bush fire brigade do some back burning prior to the bushfire season. On one occassion,whilst they were doing some back burning,  the winds changed direction and suddenly the fires were whizzing up the valley towards our homes. It was scary watching the bushfire brigade standing in our backyard fighting the blaze. Fortunately, all ended up well that time. Many years later ( after we had left that area years before) another fire came through the same valley and many of the neighbourhood houses were burnt. So I can imagine how more scary and devastating it could be when the fires win out.
 
It seems odd that I am posting about bushfires, as the weather is so unusual for this time of year-- it is actually pouring with rain at the moment and rather cool for February.
 
Have a peaceful weekend.
Cheers,
Yvonne
 

 




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous quilt Yvonne and it will comfort someone in this sad time.xx

Tatkis said...

What a lovely heart quilt - it would become someone's treasure, I'm sure!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Solstitches said...

What a beautiful quilt Yvonne.
It's bound to bring happiness to someone who has been through a terrible time.
Margaret

Chookyblue...... said...

love your quilt Yvonne and i'm sure it will bring some comfort to a family in such a difficult time.......